"For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Diabetes Check-Up

Kolton has his regular 3 month check up yesterday with his endocrinologist at Childrens. I've very happy to say Childrens Medical Center Legacy is now open so hopefully we never had to go back downtown to the main campus!

Kolton's A1C was 8% which is on the high end of normal for kids with diabetes. (A1C tells us how his sugar has really been doing over the past 3 months. 8% means his average blood sugar is 205...not so good). I've been told to start keeping his log again which means writing down his BS before meals and 2 hours after meals and start reading the logs for trends so I can make insulin adjustments. More goes into this log than just simply writing down a number. He has a target range for pre and post meals and the difference between those 2 numbers can't be more or less than 50. Bedtime target range is different than meal....you get the idea. Now in addition to figuring carbs and insulin dosage I get to start the logging process again. Guess my break is over. I don't mind doing all of this to manage Kolton's diabetes but sometimes we both miss the days of eating a pop tart in the car on the way to school!!!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh that just stinks! Poor Kolton! Hopefully he'll get "balanced out" again soon and won't have to do so many sugar checks. I'll be praying for ya'll!

Melissa said...

Hang in there Marla. If you would like to talk to my friend Cindy sometime, I can get you her email. She has Nathan, age 6 who is on an insulin pump, 24/7. She might be able to give you some pointers. :)