"For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Multi-Tasking

Today I took multi-tasking to a whole new level.

Kolton woke Robert and I up around 5:30 this morning with a stomach ache. 1 tums and a couple of sips of diet 7 Up and the throw up began...yea for us. By 9:00 I was calling the "emergency line" at the diabetes clinic which is standard with a type 1 who is throwing up and he had moderate to large ketones which meant he was getting dehydrated and had way too much extra sugar floating around in his body. I was on the phone with the nurse off and on all day giving insulin and re-checking ketones as instructed and trying to get Kolton to drink fluids..yea right. At noon the nurse gave me 2 more hours to get him hydrated and ketones gone before she sent us to the ER and those 2 additional hours is all Kolton needed in order to "turn the corner". I got him under control here and we didn't end up at Children's.

Robert wasn't able to stay home today to help with the kids so between feeding Emma, being nurse to Kolton and keeping Josh from being totally bored, I even got work done! I'm so tired tonight. I couldn't nap with Emma today because I was having to check something on Kolton so often...blood sugar...ketones...give insulin...give fluids...you get the idea!!

Having a child with type 1 diabetes is more challenging on some days than others. And with him we can never walk out the door empty handed. Where he goes, the meter goes, candy for lows, snacks for feeling low but not really low, insulin if we are going to be eating out......But I keep reminding myself it could be so much worse. Type 1 diabetes is nothing compared to some illnesses kids and parents face everyday.

Emma lost her cord today finally too. It was about time! She took her first "real" bath which she badly needed and loved it!

Josh was my helper today too. If Emma cried and I was with Kolton he'd go check on her and stick the paci in her mouth...so sweet!!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness girl, you have had a day. I am so sorry. If you need anything, let me know. I can come help with laundry or whatever! Love ya.

Jenn said...

Awww, way to go Josh...what a good big brother you are!

Poor Kolton! Thankfully you are a great mother and you stay on top of the diabetes issues! You wouldn't believe how many parents of diabetic children don't!!!

There has been a stomach bug going around at school and I am dreading the day it reaches me!!!

I hope Kolton is feeling better tonight.

Oh, and not to leave Emma out....I'm so glad you got to have your first bath you precious baby girl!!

Helen said...

GOD never gives you more than you can handle...........you're a great mom!

Hannah said...

And you didn't call me WHY????